Saturday, June 4, 2011

Review: Tempted


Title: Tempted (House of Night, #6)
Author: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
Source: Audiobook (Purchased)
★★★★☆
Zoey needs a break after some serious excitement. Sadly, the House of Night school for vampyres doesn't feature breaks on its curriculum - even for a High Priestess in training and her gang. Plus juggling three guys is no stress reliever, especially when one is a sexy Warrior so into protecting Zoey that he's sensing her emotions. Wider stresses lurk too, and the dark force in Tulsa's tunnels is spreading. Could Stevie Rae be responsible for more than a group of misfit fledglings? And Aphrodite's visions warn Zoey to stay away from the immortal Kalona and his dark allure - but they also show that only Zoey can stop him. She's not exactly keen to meet up, but if Zoey doesn't go to Kalona he'll exact a fiery vengeance on those closest to her. She just has to find the courage to do what's necessary, or everything that's important to her will be destroyed.
A little background: This series and I have had quite a few issues. I started out loving it and then somewhere around the 4th book I was so tired of all the damn drama! Basically at any one point in time Zoey has at least 2 or 3 boys after her. It drives me up a wall!! So much good plot was wasted with her indecision between them all. Zoey couldn’t just make a choice, but instead pulled them all along with her. She was strong in so many ways, but definitely very weak when it came to guys. I decided to give the series one more shot via audiobook, and I am happy that I did (Even if the girl narrating sounded like a valley girl).

I must say that this book has changed the way I look at the series. Sure, there is still drama, but the story is turning quite heavy and mature now. Be prepared for people close to Zoey die in this…  I quite enjoyed how the Casts split the chapters up by characters. I felt that it added much needed depth and understanding. It’s always nice reading from another point of view. Oh, and watch out for the ending… It was shocked me pretty bad.

Unfortunately, I cannot expose more of the story without giving away HUGE spoilers. I think I will continue pursuing this series now that it seems to have gotten through it’s tough spots. Try this series out. If you push through the rough patches around the 4th and 5th book you will be rewarded by the continuation of a good, solid, and original story in the 6th book in the House of Night series, Tempted.

2 comments:

  1. like you I enjoyed this book very much, but when I got around to burned.... let's just say things started going downhill :[ i dont know if i'll be able to continue... will you be reading the next book? curious to see what you think!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes! I was hoping it would stay better! *sigh*

    I still think I will be reading the next one. I do find that I need a break in between the House of Night books though. I think there's only so much drama I can handle at one point in time ^_^ haha

    ReplyDelete