Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: Eden

edenEden by Keary Taylor
Publisher: Self-Published
Format: Kindle eBook
Pages: 408
Source: Author
Buy It!? Paperback | Kindle
★★★★☆

Eve knew the stories of the Fall, of a time before she wandered into the colony of Eden, unable to recall anything but her name. She's seen the aftermath of the technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter, able to grow new organs and limbs, how it evolved out of control. The machine took over and the soul vanished. A world quickly losing its humanity isn't just a story to her though. At eighteen, this world is Eve's reality.

In their Fallen world, love feels like a selfish luxury, but not understanding what it is makes it difficult to choose between West, who makes her feel alive but keeps too many secrets, and Avian, who has always been there for her, but is seven years her senior.

The technology wants to spread and it won't stop until there is no new flesh to assimilate. With only two percent of the human population left, mankind is on the brink of extinction. While fighting to keep Eden alive, Eve will discover that being human is about what you will do for those you love, not what your insides may be made of. And even if it gets you killed, love is always what separates them from the Fallen.

First thing’s first: Take a look at this amazing cover! I’m happy to say that Eden is one of a few books I know of with a great story and a beautiful, informative cover.Taylor created a post-apocalyptic world where people are few and far between. What was meant to help people turned into an infection: A mechanical one that spread via touch. Think: zombie/terminator combo. Eden has a great mixture of love, technology, and post-apocalyptic elements.

The storyline of Eden is extremely intriguing, making it hard to put down. It completely gripped me from the start. I loved uncovering bits and pieces of Eve’s past. The mystery of it all had me hooked the entire time. Unfortunately, I cannot go too in depth describing the storyline without giving away spoilers. If you all have followed my reviews before, then you know I am a sucker for action! There was more than enough action in Eden to keep me satisfied. I did, however, find that the action scenes became predictable and repetitive as the story progressed. That's probably me being picky though!

There is a terrible love triangle here. I say “terrible” because it really pulled me along. It was torturous. I, like Eve, was constantly swaying back and forth trying to decide which one I liked better. Taylor made this very difficult as she created two really great male leads. While both relationships were real and developed (no “insta-love” here), I didn’t like the never-ending debate in her head. When I say "never-ending" I mean it; She must have had a debate with herself on every other page. To be honest, it took away from the story at parts. But, I can say that at the conclusion I was satisfied with her choice.

The ending was great: a real nail-biter. Taylor concluded things very well. I do think that it was left open for a possible sequel! Read Eden. Especially if you have a Kindle! It’s only 99 cents.

2 comments:

  1. Off to buy this one now, you had me at terrible love triangle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this one here and there but never a review on it. It sounds like something I'll read all in one sitting and for 99 cents, well, it's already downloaded to my computer. (I love Kindle for Mac!)

    ReplyDelete