Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Review: Crusade

CrusadeCrusade (Crusade, #1) by Nancy Holder & Debbie Viguie
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format: Paperback
Pages: 470
Source: Borders
Buy It
!? Paperback
★★★☆☆
For the past two years, Jenn has lived and trained at Spain’s Sacred Heart Academy Against the Cursed Ones. She is among the few who have pledged to defend humanity or die trying. But the vampires are gaining power, and the battle has only just begun.

Forced to return home after death takes a member of her family, Jenn discovers that San Francisco is now a vampire strong-hold. As a lone hunter apart from her team, Jenn is isolated — and at risk. She craves the company of her fighting partner, Antonio: his protection, his reassurance, his touch. But a relationship with Antonio comes with its own dangers, and the more they share of themselves, the more Jenn stands to lose.

Then Jenn is betrayed by one who was once bound to protect her, causing her to doubt all she had held as true. To survive, Jenn must find the courage to trust herself — and her heart.
I would describe Crusade as having a great plot but not-so-good execution. I had many issues with the writing style, as I found it to be very jumpy and lacking description. Several times, I had to go back and reread to understand what had just happened. Reading for enjoyment should not feel like work. And unfortunately, it felt that way.

Crusade was one of those books where I kept pushing through, hoping something would catch my interest. I found Jenn, the main character, and Antonio, the love interest, to be flat and boring throughout the story. Their interactions lacked that spark for me. I didn’t feel the passion and love between the two. I would have enjoyed seeing their relationship beginning to develop more so than jumping right in the middle of it. Strangely enough, the one character that stood out the most for me was Skye, the witch. I thought she was awesome! She was well written, extremely dynamic, and had an air of mystery about her. I also enjoyed reading about Holgar as well.

I’m not saying that Crusade was a bad book! I just don’t think it was for me as the writing style didn’t hold my interest. If you look at the big picture, the story was epic and personal, but was lacking in the execution department.

0 comments:

Post a Comment