Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Author Interview: Rebekkah Ford

Tell us about Beyond the Eyes. What do you think sets it apart from other YA paranormal novels available today?

Beyond the EyesBeyond the Eyes, is the first book in a three-book paranormal series. It’s written in the POV of seventeen-year-old Paige Reed. Paige receives a cryptic death message from a ghostly voice, which changes her life forever. Bizarre and frightening things begin to happen to her. But then she meets Nathan Caswell. There’s a magnetic energy between them they can’t deny. Paige later discovers Nathan tracks dark spirits, and her life is in danger. Some of them can see a bright light inside her, and they don’t like it. The world Paige thought she knew, is stripped from her even more when two power-hungry dark spirits wants her to find King Solomon’s ring. They believe she can find it because when her father was alive, he was close to finding it. If Paige doesn’t comply with their demands, they’ll kill her. Paige is then forced to dig deep into her father’s past and unearths shocking secrets about him and his bloodline. With the past and present colliding, Paige is only sure about two things in her life: she needs to outwit the dark spirits, and she’s completely and helplessly in love with Nathan.

I think what sets Beyond the Eyes apart from other YA paranormal novels is for one, it’s original. I haven’t yet ran across a story like this before. So hopefully, people will get into this series. And for another, the story is told in such a way that I’m hoping will make the reader wonder if it’s true or not.

Do you know what I mean?

Like, OMG! What if it’s true?

I wanted to write a story that could be believable. Yeah, it’s fiction, but is it really? Also, this first book in the series deals with issues Paige has to overcome before she can step into the next phase of her life. The second book, though, Dark Spirits, is much, much darker.

How long did it take you to finish Beyond the Eyes?

It took me three months to write the rough draft and close to a year to rewrite it.

If you could put together a soundtrack for your novel, what are some songs you would include?

  • Metallica–Enter Sandman
  • Avril Lavigne–I’m With You
  • Lifehouse–Whatever It Takes

What are some of your current favorite books?

  • Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
  • The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
  • Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice
  • The Mayfair Witches by Anne Rice
  • The Stand by Stephen King
  • 1984 by George Orwell
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

What is your writing/editing process like?

I write every chance I get. I’ll write in the morning before I go to work and when I get home from work. I also write on the weekends and can spend ten hours with no problem at my computer writing.

When did you know you wanted to write?

Well, I always loved books and reading, but I didn’t realize I could be a writer until I was seven. That was when I started writing poems and stories.

Are there any authors out there you look up to? If so, who are they and how have they affected you and your writing?

I grew up reading Anne Rice’s books. I love how she writes and tells her stories. So she totally affected me in my childhood.

J.K. Rowling is an author I totally look up to. I think she’s a genius, and although I don’t know her personally, she seems like a wonderful, down-to-earth person.

Rebekkah-Ford3ABOUT REBEKKAH

Rebekkah Ford grew up in a family that dealt with the paranormal. Her parents’ Charles and Geri Wilhelm were the Directors of the UFO Investigators League in Fairfield, Ohio, back in the 1970s. They also investigated ghost hauntings and Bigfoot sightings in addition to UFO’s. Growing up in this type of environment and having the passion for writing is what drove Rebekkah at an early age to write stories dealing with the paranormal. At one point in her life, she thought she wanted to be a journalist, and although she enjoyed writing articles, she quickly discovered her real passion was writing fiction. Her fascination with the paranormal is what led her to write the ‘Beyond the Eyes’ series. Visit her online and read her blog at http://themusingwriter.blogspot.com

If you’re interested in reading Beyond the Eyes today’s your lucky day!! Beyond the Eyes is the featured ebook at Inklings Read this week. Visit my homepage for more info!

0 comments:

Post a Comment