Friday, August 31, 2012

Review: Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica RossiUnder the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) by Veronica Rossi
Publisher: HarperCollins
Format: Hardcover
Source: Purchased
Buy It From AmazonGoodreads
★★★★★
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
Under the Never Sky is unlike any book I have read. With a mix of dystopian and sci-fi elements, it is no surprise that this has become one of my favorites!

Told from the perspectives of Aria and Perry, Under the Never Sky provides two sides to the story. Reading from both point of views was fantastic! It was so interesting seeing the interactions and knowing the motives behind them. Not only did I get to experience the great dynamic between the two main characters, but I got to see the trust between them develop as well. There was some serious tension between Aria and Perry. They, in addition to a slew of great side characters, were the highlight of this book.

The world building in Under the Never Sky was on par with that of a great fantasy book. If you are looking for a complex, original dystopian setting, this book has it. I was as intrigued with the outside, 'Death Shop,' world as I was with the dome setting. Both groups had their own views on the other. I really enjoyed seeing Aria and Perry challenge the views of each other. The differences between the two made for some great, and at times tense, interactions.

Under the Never Sky is a book that will most definitely please readers across genres. It has so much to offer! You have to check this one out, trust me. Not only is it a quick read, but it is a very satisfying one that will have you dying for the next book. Had I only known how amazing this book was, I would have picked it up the day it was released!

3 comments:

  1. I loved this one a lot! I also found the alternating points a view fantastic as well as the world building. Can't wait for the sequel! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been DYING to read this. I really need to try and snag it my next library trip. Great review! I'm glad you loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete