Thursday, February 2, 2012

Review: Sue’s Fingerprint

Sue's Fingerprint Sue’s Fingerprint (Sue, #1) by Andrew D. Carlson
Publisher:
Self-Published
Format:
Ebook
Source:
Received for review from author
Amazon
| Goodreads
★★★☆☆
A gel-like substance is suddenly discovered across the country. Ted Stevens, a Director in the Department of Homeland Security, is assigned to investigate. He enlists the help of scientists at a government laboratory to analyze the ‘goo’. They discover the substance was sent to Earth and has unique properties; it can clone animals. Ted soon learns the substance can also clone humans.

Sue is the first of eleven new people cloned from the alien substance. She and the others arrive without prior knowledges (and without clothes!). They are discovered and recovered by Ted and contained on an abandoned military base. While there, the clones learn about themselves and the world around them. They also receive a message. Sue decides she must deliver it, and one morning they find she’s gone.

During the recovery of Sue, Ted learns of the clones’ message and begins to understand their true intentions. He needs to know more about the clones before making a life-changing decision, so he collects samples for DNA fingerprint testing. The fate of the new people will be decided by the results from Ted’s friends at the laboratory.
Sue’s Fingerprint was certainly not what I had expected it to be. I loved the fact that it was Earth-based Sci Fi – A genre we don’t see enough of! It was intelligent, thrilling, creative, and interesting all at once. These things helped the plot to move along quickly and maintain my attention throughout. I liked Carlson’s writing and found it to be clean and efficient. His use of short chapters made reading a breeze and provided plenty of good break points. If I had to pick out one problem, it would be that the writing lacked depth. When I say “depth” I don’t mean background to the story,  I mean emotional depth. While I enjoyed the writing, I wish there was more feeling to it!

I found the story to Sue’s Fingerprint  intriguing, but I did come away with a few qualms. While this is marketed toward a YA audience, there aren’t actually any young adults in it! None of the main characters are within the YA age range, something I found kind of strange. This certainly does not mean that YA readers shouldn’t read this! It’s just, personally, I would have liked to see at least one main character within the age range. I think that the audience for this book may need to be reconsidered.

I would also have liked to see the characters fleshed out a bit more! This goes along with the lack of emotional depth mentioned before. There’s a great story here, but it’s lacking that human element that makes us, as readers, care about the outcome!

Overall, I would recommend Sue’s Fingerprint to readers who are looking for an intelligent read. While it left me a bit dissatisfied with the characters, there is definitely a place in the Sci Fi genre for Sue’s Fingerprint.

I would like to give a special thanks to Andrew for allowing me the opportunity to read and review his book!

0 comments:

Post a Comment