Friday, March 9, 2012

Feature & Follow (9)


Q: Have you ever looked at book’s cover and thought, This is going to horrible? But, was instead pleasantly surprised? Show us the cover and tell us about the book.

This has happened to me on numerous occasions! The first book that comes to mind is Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. I actually put off reading this book because of the cover (and the fact I usually hate time travel in books). Judging by the cover, I thought the book would be stuffy and lack excitement. Turned out to be one of my favorites once I actually got around to reading it (My review here). I think I'm one of the few people who is happy they redid the cover design!

What do you guys think of this cover? Love it, hate it? Am I crazy?


Another one that I can recall is Joust by Mercedes Lackey. Easily one of my favorites (My review here), but the guy on the front looks like he's wearing a freakin' vase on his head... I mean... really? Look my helmet doubles as a water glass! Super intimidating. The dragon is bad-ass, but the guy is just a major turnoff.


Any of you have a similar experiences with a book covers?

5 comments:

  1. Ruby Red I like, but I can see not liking one of Lackey's covers. There is something old school fantasy (some because they are old school) about them, but I really enjoy a lot of her work.

    Old Follower
    Beth ^_^
    http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby Red's cover never really did it for me either. I haven't read it but it might just be because I have so many books to read.

    Have a great weekend.

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... Joust is really not appealing. At all. LOL
    I'm a new networked follower! :)
    http://notjustnonsense.blogspot.com/2012/03/feature-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping through. I love the cover for Ruby Red. haven't had a chance to read it though.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really like the cover of Ruby Red, but the cover also deterred me from reading the book because I figured the book would be stuffy and old fashioned. I still haven't read it yet, but I have heard it's pretty awesome.

    I can't remember the last time I turned down a book because of the cover. It's been a long time, although I know I was guilty of doing it when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete