Thursday, November 8, 2012

Audiobook Review: Delirium

Delirium by Lauren OliverDelirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperTEEN
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Sarah Drew
Source: Purchased from Audible
Buy It From AmazonGoodreads
★★★★★
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now.

Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
Delirium is one of those books that I had no interest in reading initially. The plot seemed a bit too familiar and sounded as if it could easily go wrong. Then came the gushing reviews from my fellow bloggers. So what did that make me do? Naturally, I put off reading it even longer (I've since learned to listen to them)! Eventually I gave in and now I can’t believe how I could put off reading such a fantastic book!

 Delirium contained all my favorite elements: A bit of action, a pinch of  mystery, a killer ending, and a romance seemingly doomed from the start. Yet, even in the face of that doom, the main character, Lena, maintained hope. There's just something about underdog characters like Lena that I love. They manage to both inspire and intrigue me. Up against all odds, will they make it or break it? You'll have to read this one to find out!

Delirium evoked all kinds of emotions: anger, sadness, love, and hope to name a few. Expect a rollercoaster! While, yes, this is a very emotional book, it has none of the fluff that one might expect from reading the blurb. There is legitimate thought and meaning in Delirium! Yes, it is about love, but there is so much more to it!

Don't be like me and put off reading Delirium! Life's too short to miss out on the good ones!

2 comments:

  1. I also waited a long time, but I wasn't blown away by the story. Lena annoyed me. It became much better when Alex arrived in the story and the ending was a killer! But it wasn't SO good as I expected for me, so I'm glad you loved it so much :D Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the exact same thing!!! I kept putting off actually reading the book because I thought it wasn't my thing, when I did finally read it I couldn't believe how long I'd put off reading it! It's became one of my favourite books :)

    ReplyDelete