Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Review: Unwind

Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman
Publisher: Brilliance Audio
Narrator: Luke Daniels
Format: Audiobook
Length: 10 hrs and 10 mins
Source: Purchased from Audible
Amazon | Audible | Goodreads
★★★★☆
In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them.

Conner’s parents want to be rid of him because he’s a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev’s unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family’s strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can’t be harmed – but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away.

In Unwind, Boston Globe/Horn Book Award winner Neal Shusterman challenges listeners’ ideas about life – not just where life begins, and where it ends, but what it truly means to be alive.
Imagine for a second that you are a teen living in a world where at any moment your parents or guardians may choose to have you unwound. If you disobey them or become unwanted in any way, they may sign the papers and have you shipped off to a “harvest camp” where you will be prepped and then taken piece by piece. If you’re born into the right religion you may even have the privilege  of being tithed (aka unwound with an honorable connotation). Satisfying both pro-life and pro-choice advocates, the justification of unwinding is that the teens live on within the bodies of the people given their parts. Disturbing? Definitely. Unrealistic? A bit… But this story and the characters brought such life to the idea, that is quickly became real.

Unwind has a very chilling concept! I loved it. Being my first audiobook experience, it took a little getting used to. I think I adjusted to listening vs. reading pretty fast. The narrator, Luke Daniels, was great!! He must have had over 10 original voices. It was very impressive and brought another dimension to the story.

Surprisingly, this was not a very emotional book. I expected it to be, but it was more- sit-at-the-edge-of-your-seat I-must-know-what-will-happen-next addicting. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was a little love story in the background that was not gushy whatsoever.

Neal Shusterman has a definite winner here! Unwind is a chilling, action-packed, nail-biting, thriller. Supposedly Neal is working on a second book in the series titled, Unwholly that is due out in September 2012. You can bet I will be trying to get my hands on an ARC of that one! It also appears that Neal is working on the script to a movie based on Unwind. I’m extremely excited for that as well! Give this book a shot, or better yet try this as an audiobook, and you will be guaranteed a thrilling ride.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog and I'm your newest follower!

    I absolutely loved this book! It was such a haunting and creepy concept, and it took place in an interesting world. I loved the multiple perspectives that it was told in. They added so much to the story, and were always at the perfect time. I had no idea there was going to be a sequel!!!! I really hoped there would be one, but I wasn't sure. I can't wait! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing great things about this one! Still have it in my TBR pile...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book sitting on my shelf, I'm SO looking forward to it having just finished his Skinjacker trilogy-- I love his writing style! Great review and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Also, I swear I was following your blog before, but it wasn't on my following list! Ugh. I just followed it again.

    ReplyDelete