Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: Tiger’s Curse

tiger Tiger’s Curse (The Tiger Saga, #1) by Colleen Houck
Publisher: Audible, Inc. 
Narrator(s): Annika Boras & Sanjiv Jahveri
Format: Audiobook
Length: 15 hrs and 45 mins
Source: Purchased from Audible
Amazon | Audible | Goodreads
★★★★☆
Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?


The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.

Tiger's Curse flaunts some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever read! It was easy to imagine the gorgeous, lush, and exotic places found in this story. Colleen's descriptions were detailed without being the least bit overbearing. Because the story covers a wide range of geographic locations, if you love books with travel, this one is for you!

With travel usually comes adventure, and I found the story to be extremely adventurous! Think Indiana Jones or Tomb Raider! There were more than enough riddles, puzzles, and death traps to keep any action fan satisfied. So of course, I was beaming! The action scenes were never repetitive and always entertaining!

Unfortunately the great scenery and awesome plot were unable to distract me from my inability to relate to Kelsey. I found her quite frustrating! Yes, she had a traumatic childhood, but there's something wrong with a girl who can resist Ren's charms. A sweet and handsome Indian prince... How can you say no to that!?! Her constant denial of her obvious feelings for Ren drove me up a wall. I wanted to reach through my speakers and smack some sense into her. By the end of the book, I could understand her reasons a bit more clearly, though I'm hoping she is not as emotionally closed off in the next book!

I don't know what I would have done had I not listened to Tiger's Curse. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to pronounce half of the Indian words and names! Annika Boras did a truly phenomenal job with the accents and pronunciations - not that I would have known any different, but they sounded authentic to me! She was also wonderful at portraying emotion with her voice: never overdone and never lacking.

The ending of Tiger's Curse was predictable, yet satisfying. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to the continuation of The Tiger Saga! I highly recommend this audiobook to paranormal and adventure fans alike!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not quite sold on this series, but the publisher has sent me the next two, so I'll probably get to them over the next few months. I did find that the book picked up after the few hundred pages or so, but it felt quite sloppy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and the series. It is so unique and full of mystery and romance. It takes you into a world of a different culture that is exciting and new. I couldn't quit reading until I read the whole book and was begging for the next book to be out.

    ReplyDelete