Saturday, April 23, 2011

Review: Blue Galaxy

Blue Galaxy by Diane Dooley
Publisher: Carina Press
Format: Ebook
Source: NetGalley
Amazon | Goodreads
★★★☆☆

Falling in love is easy; staying alive long enough to enjoy it just might be impossible.

Javan Rhodes, the hard-drinking, disreputable captain of space freighter The Kypris, took a mission to save himself from hitting the bottom of the food chain. Transporting Sola, a beautiful young aristocrat, from Earth to an unknown destination on the outer rim of the colonies is lucrative, but also highly illegal.

As tough as it is to evade both the law and the lawless, the hardest part of the job is not falling in love with his irresistible cargo. Just as he decides that he will never be able to hand her over to the warlord she must marry, he discovers that Sola has been playing a very dangerous game—one that could not only cost them their lives, but could also affect the balance of power in an increasingly dangerous universe.

This is a tough book to review because there is only one major turn-off for me: Sola’s character. I liked everything else: the writing was great, the steamy scenes were great, and Diane Dooley is a very talented writer for sure.

Allow me to explain. When I read a romance I expect to fully vested in the characters. They are an enormous part of it for me! I loved Javan, his character was very real, but Sola… was a lying, manipulative bitch! Who wants to read a romance where one of the main characters turns out like this? Javan’s character was an idiot for even being interested in Sola after her betrayal! Something else that really got to me: There is not way this would be a happy ending... sorry. Dooley somehow manages to twist and force this into a happy ending. It didn’t make sense at all to me.

Once I started to see Sola’s true colors I was tempted to put this book down, but I pushed through hoping there would be some redeeming quality in her. She just used him to the end though. I guess Javan didn’t care… I don’t know what guy would want to be in a relationship with a girl who he can never trust again.

If you’re a fan of sci-fi romance maybe give this a shot. You might find it interesting. Like I said, the writing was great. I enjoyed everything except Sola. The only problem is that she was just a large enough part of the story to ruin it for me.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, she doesn't sound like a great character at all... Characters are a huge part of the book for me as well and I want to be able to connect with them, so I don't think this would be anything for me. I am curious what she did to betray Javan though...

    Great review!

    Rebecca @ kindle fever

    ReplyDelete